Tuesday, February 2, 2010

How do I get nail glue off my glasses lenses ?

I tried to fix the frame on my glasses w. Nail glue and got it on the lens alcohol and nail polish remover won't get it off what will ?How do I get nail glue off my glasses lenses ?
Soak it for a couple of hours in soap + lens alcoholHow do I get nail glue off my glasses lenses ?
It is important to know if you have Glass or Plastic lenses. If they are plastic, there is a good chance the glue has chemically bonded with them, but if they are glass, you can soaking the specific spot with a little pad of acetone-based nail polish remover. A little pad of cotton or tissue covered with a bit of plastic wrap should do, but be sure not to get the liquid on your frames unless they are metal. It may evaporate out from under the edges of the plastic, so you may need to re-soak the pad once or twice, but most likely it will be fine. Then you can try pushing the glue spot off with a toothpick to see if it is soft enough. If so, you can most likely wipe it off with a soft cloth dampened with the solvent/remover, repeating with new sections of the cloth until the glue is all gone. Be careful, though, not to wipe in too large an area, or you could spread the glue over a wider part of the lens and make your job harder.





Here is a link describing some techniques quite similar to the above info, but the article talks about other items, too.





Good luck.
Sammy 123, if your glasses are made of real glass and not coated or plastic then a dab of acetone wil l,dissolve the glue without harm to the glasses surface. Nail polish remover has a mixture of acetone and other ingredients and will react to a gentle cotton swab rub. Be sure to rinse the glasses afterwords so no acetone remains because it will hurt the eyes if it remains.


Spartawo...
You should should really take them in to where you bought them. This happened to me a long time ago. I think I went to Pearl Vision?? Then got the glue off w/some type of sanding thing. I think if they can get it off depends it depends on the type of glue and how much is on the lens. Nail glue is sooo dangerous....It can burn through certain types of material. I got like 2 drops on a tank top and it smoked and burned through to my skin so fast, that I couldn't get it off before it burnt my chest and left a dime size burn/blister. Just thought I'd warn ya....
Call the place you got your glasses from for advice. Some substances will wreck the surface of the lense. Don't use anything recommended by someone who does not work with glasses.
i've heard that you can rub some fingernail polish remover on them
Try Goo Gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment